Thursday, December 1, 2016

What was she looking at?

On Monday, this week, I had family over for dinner.  This is the quilt that is hanging in our dining room right now.  I always have considered this our Xmas quilt and it gets hung up end of November.

As we were tidying up the table, my niece picked up her 14 month old daughter and when the baby looked at the quilt, she let out a big OHHHHHHH.  This photo would have been at her eye level.  What did she see that made her remark so?   My little niece doesn't say much, but this caught us by surprise.  My sister, niece and I started to chuckle.  Yep, another family member is hooked onto my quilts.
You have seen all my ribbons that I have acquired throughout the years.  Some people think I'm famous (I have to giggle at that) and some people think I'm really good at what I make.  Thank you for those thoughts.  The best reaction I have ever received was from my little grand niece.  If she was that impressed at her young age, well, I guess you are all right.

So, as I go about making this quilt (of course, I'm doing my own thing) for her ...
and as I add piece
after piece
after piece
and some more, what will her reaction be when she opens her gift?  Time will tell.  I'm anxious to find out.
Questions have been asked about my studio.  It is functioning but still in a transition stage.  In other words, it is a mess, but I can finally do some sewing.

The photos below are at different stages.  I so love bead board and I finally got some in my studio.
 Shelves ready to store my bins.
 They are loaded.
Curtains help to hide the mess.  A bit more of sorting still needs to be done before I can call this section complete.
My sewing table has been changed around.
Against the window wall, there is 10 feet of cutting space.  My big ironing board is on one of the tables and it is so nice to use the full length of the board.  Just this change has made a huge difference in my life.  Things have gotten easier.  How do you like my window curtain?  A big piece of styrofoam does the trick for now.  The window frame needs to be painted and then I can add curtains.
 This wall is complete
My design wall is back in place and being used.
 There is one more wall to paint (the wall on the right) and once that is done, then I can finish sorting.  I'm so happy with my paint colour.  It adds such charm to the room.
My stash has been used this past year and two bins were emptied into a third bin.  That was thrilling to see.  Two bins emptied.  Hallelujah!
Wait, Aunt Rosie don't get so thrilled just yet.  Holy scraps .... Houston we have a problem!   I'm awash with scraps ...





I can see a lot of sorting coming soon .... LOL .... oh well!

Time to link this post to The Needlework and Thread Network.

Have a great day, eh!

6 comments:

Raewyn said...

Your gr-niece's reaction is wonderful, oh the joy of small children :-) I'm sure she will have a similar reaction to the quilt you are making her too, it's going to be lovely. You are making great progres with your room...hehe I had a little giggle at the empty bins but overflowing scrap bags!

Chookyblue...... said...

your niece has good taste......

Jennifer said...

That's sweet......love that there could be a new quilter in the making! Your 'new' studio will be much better to use, no doubt about it - you have a wonderful space, even without a proper curtain.

Julie Fukuda said...

Hey, those scraps look just like the pile taking up half of my sofa. When you figure out what to do with them, let me know.
By the way, nice studio ... envy rears it's ugly head!

Deb said...

wow that room is looking so inviting can't wait for the quilt room party!! LOL I love it and it does look cozy.
Just think in a couple of years all those scraps will have a home as well if your grand nieces are so interested they too can hand piece using those same scraps that GrandAuntie has used.

Karen said...

Your Christmas quilt is a beauty.