Saturday, May 19, 2007

Crepe Myrtle

Remember my Mutant Block on my April 23 posting? Well, this is the block that those flowers belong to.

I made this for our Guild’s Mini Auction in May 2006. Proceeds from that sale went to charity. My plan was to buy back this hanging at the auction, but was called away on a family emergency at the last moment and the hanging was bought by a lady who is thrilled with it.

Last year, our Guild had a demo night showing our members how to make 3-D flowers. There were five members doing the demo and this flower block is the one that I did the demo on. It helped that I had a quilt to show the members how the flowers would look finished.

Do you like the green plaid in the stem? That came from an old blouse of mine that I had and which was stored away because it was 100% cotton. Yes, I had a blast cutting that blouse up and the leftover pieces are now among my plaid stash. :o)

There is a lot of hand quilting in this hanging!

Have a great day!

10 comments:

Anne Heidi said...

The wallhanging is just beautiful! So much handquilting- and it looks perfect! I'm just now starting to hand quilt, and I'm finding it difficult to get the stitches even. I guess practice makes perfect (or at least better)

atet said...

Ooooh, what a lucky lady to purchase that wall hanging. It is lovely, and all of that hand quilting...I really do have to learn to do that some day.

Unknown said...

Just beautiful Rose Marie, love the fabric you used for the border. I take my hat off to you with all that hand quilting. Maybe we could all send our quilts to you to hand quilt.... :)))

Carmiña said...

Hello Rose Marie,
It's a beautiful wallhanging, i remember those flowers in another post.
I like the appliqué the hand quilting and the colors, goog use of your blouse in the stems

Anonymous said...

I've only made 3D flowers once and they looked like aliens. I envy you having finished a wallhanging with them. It looks great

love and hugs gina xxx

Leigh said...

They really are the color of crepe myrtle. Lovely!

Holly said...

Hi Rose Marie, your wall hanging is beautiful! I can't believe all the work that went into it. Thanks for stopping by my place :)

Unknown said...

Just thought I'd let you know that there's nowhere to post a coment on your newest post.

Ila K. said...

Such lovely applique! I'm teaching myself, and it looks like cr*p! Your pictures give me something to aspire to.

Nadia said...

bellissimi questi fiori!!!!